Tuesday, November 4, 2008

No one to blame but yourself (ves)...

When I awoke this morning it felt like just another ordinary day. The CBC news jostled me from my slumber and then it dawned on me: Today is possibly the most important day in US history as I have lived it. This is a day where I will tell my children how the fate of the world rested in the hands of the American people and how they collectively voted for a change, be it monumental or not, in their country.

I hope by the time I wake tomorrow that the world is a different place. I hope that Americans wake up with a fresh perspective where they are ready to show the rest of the world that the great nation they once were is the great nation they will again become. Over the last eight years, the world has watched and pointed fingers and bitched and bemoaned everything and everyone American. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

In eight short years we have forgotten the nation that saved Europe after WWII. We have turned a blind eye to one of the only nations in the world where ambition and self determination are personified in it's people.

And so, on this very important election day I hope that America gets what it needs and what it deserves: Another chance.

But let's not kid ourselves. For those of you out there who can vote and don't: When shit hits the fan, you've got no one to blame but yourselves.

1 comment:

Meg said...

The first words I said this morning were "They didn't fuck it up."

Yet.

I am proud to say that I was aware the day history was made. I was teary-eyed over my coffee. And yes. Today, I dare to hope, when yesterday, I didn't even dare to have faith.