Thursday, June 14, 2007

bats in the belfry...

It's a tricky question, this notion of ego-stroking. I'm not adverse to doing it, in fact quite the opposite, but it comes as such a shock when the person you'd least expect it from, fishes for it. The appropriate response would be a simple "yes" but instead, good ol' L-diggs with the proverbial foot-in-mouth disease, stammers and makes a mess of it.

Once again, I, the Queen of Verbose, was at a loss for words. What I should have said, wanted to say but couldn't was: of course, without a doubt, absolutely. I would have followed that with a "you're amazing" or a "your brilliance astounds me" but I can't say these things in person, let alone over a phone or internet connection. Does that make me mean them any less?

Do you remember when we shared tea and you told me your dreams and I had nothing to say? I was trying to remember the day as exactly and as perfectly as I could. I wanted to remember how the sunshine hit your face and how your eyes crinkle when you laugh because when would I see them again? I wanted to hide the feelings of awe and pride that must have been written all over my face. I must have appeared a fool but it doesn't matter because I will remember that day forever.

I wish I could have responded appropriately but I was too stunned. Sometimes humility just takes me by surprise and it was only upon heavier footing based in feigned modesty that I was again able to catch my breath.

1 comment:

bluecentrist said...

it was a silly comment. don't get tied up in a knot over it. you didn't do anything wrong. and why is my name my politics blog on this thing? first the facebook private thing and now this. I gotta stop playing with the Internets.