Tuesday, June 5, 2007

why the bridge is often the best part...

Mostly because it has more variety, musically and lyrically, than the verses. This isn't always the case and we can't make stark generalizations like that, so we won't. But, on "No Reply" off "Beatles for Sale," the bridge is wicked good and guaranteed it's on the exam. Key change, check! Unexpected additional D phrase, check! More noise, check! This reminds me of a riddle that Paul used tell me about what a nose, a guitar and song have in common: all have a bridge. Silly, I know. But it took me a while.

Speaking of bridges... Riding home on my bike from the universidad after school/work I can smell summer under the bridges. When you're on a bike you go fast enough that you can only smell the scent of the river on the air, not the urine that you'd smell under the bridge if you were just standing there. Being under the bridge creates a pocket where the air blows and can't escape and the smell is just as incredible as one's first time to the ocean or the overwhelming smell of chlorine at a Las Vegas pool. This city is exquisite right now. Sunny, 31 degrees without a cloud in the sky. The river is all shades of green and blue and the city skyline takes my breath away. The geese just chill and shit wherever they feel like it. People are out and about which is a trait that I usually don't associate with this city. Cans glint in the air in peoples' rafts as they crack their river beers.

Summer came just like that. I admit that I'm getting dumber everyday that passes without some sort of academic class to attend (the Beatles doesn't really count) but the air is fresh and relatively clean. I'm going to miss Calgary. I admit it. It's been a surprisingly quick 4 year courtship. I didn't think the breakup would be bad but it might be. Ask me again when it snows in like, a week.

1 comment:

Meg said...

calgary?

always going to be here.

I say, get while the getting's still good- we're headed for another bust any day now, and you remember what happened last time...