Wednesday, March 7, 2007

All You Need is Love...

A few things dawned on me today that I thought I should share:

1. Julio Cortazar's "Noche Boca Arriba" is a tricky bastard and it was only today, after twice having studied this short story, that I understood that the main character does in fact die and it is the Indio telling the story, not the man on the motorcycle. Well played, you tricky bastard, it's that sort of thing that makes it a classic.

2. "All you need is love..."- J. Lennon. I know, I'd heard it a million times but maybe I've been too pessimistic or indifferent to the realize the strength of this statement. If we can put our faith in the supernatural or the spiritual, two causes that very well may not exist, then surely putting our faith in our fellow human beings is a worthwhile gamble. The swiss watch simplicity of maybe love is enough came as a sweeping, existential, utterly overwhelming and transcendently beautiful idea that I really hadn't considered until now. So, John boy, as usual I applaud you.

3. Joanna Newsom: Why is your voice so Bart Simpson-esque and yet so heavenly? And with a full, all most classical sounding orchestra behind you, you exceed my expectations once again.

It truly has been a day of realizations, greatly encouraged by the sunshine. A life that only a few days ago was utterly unbearable short of a Badlands-esque homicide spree across the prairies has become now sunshine, warm breeze, Malibu and Good News for People Who Love Bad News (definitely a summer classic album) weather. How lovely indeed.

No comments: