Sunday, March 11, 2007

You can't always get what you want...

Strange title for someone who isn't exactly enamored with the Rolling Stones, but we'll let it slide. I've always had this life philosophy that you really do sometimes just get what you need, but only when looking at it in retrospect. At the time life seems like a real douchebag and nothing goes your way and the everyday seems just do damn mundane and why can't things be different? But then, somehow, something presents itself that you'd never expected and often it's better than what you had hoped and well, you just wish you hadn't worried so much about it in the first place. My quandary is this, is this a universal truth for everyone, or is this just something that has worked for me?

Many things in my life that at the time were real downers turned out way better after the initial disappointment of the expected didn't pan out. For example, in grade 12 when I wanted to be the lead of this girl who commits suicide in a play for the drama festival and instead was cast as the Ring Master of the Circus of Life. In the end the role had a lot more depth and was slightly more up my alley, not to mention the sequence and top hat I got to wear. Or in grade 12 when I initially was shortlisted for my exchange and had originally wanted to go to France. Instead, I was picked at the last minute to go to Mexico, where I picked up a language that I am in love with, and packed my bags and didn't go to UBC and instead came to U of C (and I don't want to even imagine what it would be like if I hadn't come here). Or the time I got shortlisted again to be a CA in Residence. Initially I was heartbroken about not getting hired but in the end Lacey and I came in late in the summer and turned out to be great friends.

So where is this all going? Right now I have a few people in my life who just don't seem to be getting what they want out of life. I want to tell them that life will inevitably give them what they need, when they need it, but I can't promise them anything concrete. I can't promise myself anything concrete.

But I've always just closed my eyes and jumped in and the self-doubt and anxiety last only a few seconds until it's a simple free-fall and it's blissful and it's everything I had never expected. So hang in there comrades, please...

No comments: